Bangalore, Feb 26: The proposed introduction of Bangalore-Mangalore Express (Weekly), opening of an executive lounge here and resumption of work on Chickmagalur-Sakleshpur and Bangalore-Satyamangalam new line projects are some of the key highlights of Railway budget as far as Karnataka is concerned.
The budget also proposed several special express trains from various destinations in the state. These include:
1. Hubli-Mumbai (weekly) via Miraj and Pune
2. Jabalpur-Yeswantpur (weekly) via Nagpur and Dharmavaram
3. Madgaon-Mangalore Intercity (daily) via Udupi and Karwar
4. Mangalore-Kachiguda (weekly) via Dhone, Gooty, Renigunta and Coimbatore
5. Nagarcoil-Bangalore (daily) via Madurai and Tiruchirappalli
6. Yeswantpur-Lucknow (weekly) via Rae Bareli and Pratapgarh and Patliputra (Patna)
7. Bangalore Express (Weekly) Via Chheoki.
New proposed passenger trains are:
1. Marikuppam-Bangalore (daily)
2.Talguppa-Shimoga Town Passenger (daily).
Other announcements for Karnataka include:
1. Executive lounge would be opened in seven stations, including Bangalore.
2. Resumption of work on new line projects of Chickballapur-Sakleshpur and Bangalore-Satyamangalam, which were pending for want of resources and other mandatory clearances, after Karnataka government agreed to give land free of cost and bear 50 per cent of cost.
3. Skill-development centres (to impart skills to the youth in railway-related trades) in 25 locations, including in Mangalore.
4. Railway minister Pawan Kumar Bansal announced taking up new line Chickballapur-Gowribidanur, Chickballapur-Puttaparthy-Sri Satya Sai Nilayam, Gadag-Wadi and Srinivasapura-Madanapalli, adding surveys proposed in 2013-14 include Tumkur-Maddur-Malavalli and Tumkur-Arsikere (doubling) and Shoranur-Mangalore 3rd Line.
5. New DEMU services announced included BhatkalThokur.
6. Extension of trains including:
a) 17307/17308 Bagalkot-Yesvantpur Express to Mysore
b) 12577/12578 Darbhanga-Bangalore Express to Mysore
c) 16591/16592 Hubli-Bangalore Express to Mysore
d) 12653/12654 Mangalore - Tiruchchirappalli Express to Puducherry
e) 16535/16536 Solapur-Yesvantpur Express to Mysore
f) 12629/12630 Yesvantpur -Hazrat Nizamuddun Sampark Kranti Express two days to Chandigarh
g) 56275/56276 Mysore-Shimoga Town Passenger to Talguppa
Increase in frequency of:
a) 12629/12630 Yesvantpur -Hazrat Nizamuddun Sampark Kranti Express from two to four days
b) 56221/56222/56525/56526 Bangalore-Tumkur passenger from six to seven days.