Srinagar, Jan 6: Dismissing reports about any raid on a Pakistani checkpost, the Army today averred that its personnel were forced to react to a "ceasefire violation" but no one crossed the border.
Earlier, the Pakistani military released a statement that Indian soldiers "physically raided a checkpost named Sawan Patra" near the Haji Pir Pass. Claiming that the attackers left behind weapons at the border post, the statement mentioned the death of one Pakistani soldier and serious injury to another in the skirmish.
However, the Associated Press quoted Army spokesman Colonel Brijesh Pandey as saying that after Pakistani troops "initiated unprovoked firing, we retaliated only using small arms."
Mortar shells fired from across the border destroyed the home of a civilian, the colonel said. "We believe it was clearly an attempt on their part to facilitate infiltration of militants," he added.
His colleague Colonel Jagadish Dahiya stressed that "None of our troops crossed the Line of Control." He also told Reuters that "We have no casualties or injuries."
The current ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir came into effect in 2003. India has charged Pakistan with violating it whenever there is a major infiltration along the LoC. Delhi believes Islamabad deliberately creates trouble in order to divert attention so that militants can sneak in without hindrance.
Pakistan's refusal to accept Kashmir's accession to India (in Oct 1947) is the root of the problem. Due to this, both sides had to deploy a large number of troops in terrain that is mostly inhospitable. The deep-rooted hostility between India and Pakistan means that the Siachen glacier continues to be the highest battleground in the world.
Last month, an avalanche in the glacier's Turtuk area claimed six lives. All the deceased belonged to the 1-ASSAM Regiment. As many as 144 Pakistanis including 14 civilians were similarly buried under a wall of snow on Apr 7, 2012.