Mumbai, Mar 28: Hasan Ali - the biggest tax evader in India reportedly cited life threats, as he revealed many mammoth names during the investigation in black money case. Today (Monday, Mar 28) the enforcement directorate (ED) moved the Supreme Court where the officials sought special protection for Ali and for the officials who all are involved in the investigation.
Hasan Ali, during the probe in his $8 billion (about Rs 36,000 crore) worth black money deals, named many names who are having a lavish life in the limelight. Sources reported that Ali named many politicians and South Indian actors involving in the money laundering scam.
Investigating officials reportedly found that Ali had so far helped a former Andhra Pradesh chief minister and other top politicians as well as film stars from south India to fund elections and movies. Sources also claimed that one of the Telugu actors is now a prominent politician whose name has been come up during the investigation.
Meanwhile, the ED officials were slammed by the Supreme Court over sluggish way of investigation in the black money case. The court asked that whether they were sleeping since 2008.
However, the ED officials told the Supreme Court that there has been a substantial breakthrough in the case and added that Hasan Ali's case is not only about a fake passport but has serious implications.
* Ali helped a former Andhra Pradesh chief minister who allegedly had black money routed back from abroad.
* A popular Telugu film producer-actor allegedly took support from Ali to finance his films in mid 2000s.
* Ali helped two Andhra Pradesh parties to park their money abroad.
* Kerala and Tamil Nadu politicians also took help from Ali.
* An Andhra Pradesh party brought back close to Rs 200 crore from abroad through Ali for the 2009 elections.
* A popular Maharashtra Congress leader had funds for his election campaigns routed through Ali.
* Ali invested crores of money during the marriage of a Maharashtra politician.
* An actress whose accounts are managed by her brother also had money routed through Ali.
The early revelations
* Three former chief ministers of Maharashtra were allegedly laundered money from Ali.
* Congress leader from Bihar, Amlendu Kumar Pandey allegedly helped Ali obtain a passport from Patna on the basis of forged documents and open an account in Singapore to park his black money.
* Investigations exposed Ali's links with four Maharashtra bureaucrats, who are also involved in the Adarsh housing society scam.
* Ali laundered money for a Maharashtra builder, a close associate of a former CM who resides in a plush apartment at a famed Nariman Point building in Mumbai.
* Ali is believed to have pumped in money into the businesses of the son-in-law of one of these former CMs.
* Ali also had close connections with Adnan Khashoggi, an international arms dealer.