Regina Senger, of Townsville, said that she developed health issues after long-term exposure to toxic mould in the poorly ventilated and damp basement in which she worked.
She has launched legal action against the business for which she used to work, and the owner of the building she worked in.
Solicitor Rebecca Jancauskas, of Shine Lawyers, said that her client suffered headaches, respiratory, and sinus problems as a result of her job while tests revealed that she had mould growing in her lungs, placing her at risk of cancer.
"Obviously she is very concerned about the long-term health implications," News.com.au quoted her as saying.
She said that Senger was directed to work alone in the basement of the Townsville business after starting as a property manager in October 2007, and repeatedly complained about the sub-standard conditions, which included mould on the walls and carpet and a "pervasive, pungent odour".
Jancauskas said that her client's pleas to be transferred and her complaints of ill health, such as persistent headaches, were ignored, and on one occasion, Senger alleges that she was told having sex would cure her health woes.
"That just demonstrates the employer's flagrant disregard of the problems and of her symptoms," Jancauskas said.
Senger left the employer in March to receive treatment for her conditions, but had been forced to take up part-time work to support her children.
She has lodged a compensation claim against her employer, and has instructed Shine Lawyers to launch court proceedings against the buildings owners.
"We think this should serve as a wake-up call to owners of premises that if they subject their employees or tenants to sub-standard work or living conditions they will be brought to account," Jancauskas said.
"In cases like this when the impact on all spheres of the plaintiff's life has been severe the compensation could be significant," she added. (ANI)