Fatah al-Islam spox denies claim to Beirut bombs

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 14:46 [IST]

BEIRUT, May 22 (Reuters) A Fatah al-Islam spokesman said today his militant group had nothing to do with two Beirut bombings for which a statement in the group's name had earlier claimed responsibility.

''We have no link to the attacks in Ashrafiyeh and (Verdun),'' Abu Salim, Fatah al-Islam's spokesman, told Reuters referring to the Christian and Sunni Muslim districts in Beirut where the attacks took place on Sunday and Monday, killing one.

A Fatah al-Islam statement faxed to Reuters said the group had carried out the bombings.

''A group of your heroic jihadist brothers undertook in the last two days ... the planting and detonating of two explosive devices in the heart of Beirut,'' it said.

''We have warned the government and we have been true to our pledge ... and we have set ablaze and will set ablaze again the heart of Beirut,'' said the statement.

REUTERS SM SSC1403

 

Write a Comment