Druze leader Jumblatt expects more bombs in Lebanon

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 16:12 [IST]
 

BEIRUT, May 22 (Reuters) Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt said today he expects more bomb attacks in Lebanon, whose capital this week was hit by two explosions. Jumblatt, a fierce opponent of Syrian influence in Lebanon, also accused Damascus of backing militants who have since Sunday been battling Lebanese army troops at a Palestinian refugee camp in north Lebanon.

Syria denies links to the group, Fatah al-Islam, which has been fighting with the Lebanese army around Nahr al-Bared camp.

''Unfortunately I expect that the explosions will increase,'' Jumblatt told reporters in Beirut, where bombs exploded in the evenings of Sunday and Monday, killing one person.

Jumblatt, along with his allies in the governing coalition, accuse Damascus of orchestrating a series of attacks in Lebanon, including assassinations of anti-Syrian leaders such as former Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri in 2005.

The United States, France and Britain last week circulated a draft UN resolution that would set up an international tribunal for suspects in the attacks.

A UN inquiry into the killing has implicated Syria and Lebanese officials in the Hariri killing. Damascus denies involvement.

REUTERS SS ND1544


For important updates connect with us on Facebook Oneindia News

Write a Comment